Sunday, February 16, 2014

Jet Lag

February 4, 2014

Peep-peep-peep-peep, peep-peep-peep-peep. The room is perfectly dark. I wake slowly, then leap from the bed. I have set the time wrong, or neglected to turn off one of my early morning alarms. My head is heavy and stupid with sleep. I press buttons to make the peeping stop, then open timeanddate.com to see what my mistake is. But timeanddate insists that it is 8 am in Mumbai, which seems impossible, given how dark it is. At last I have the wit to pull open the window curtain, and light streams in. From the right angle I can see a sliver of Juhu beach, the waves shining under the harsh Indian sun. But I will not run out to walk on the sand today, nor trot up the street to the Satya Paul to see if I can price one of the outfits I saw the night before. Now I must sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment