Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Mumbai Arrival

February 3, 2014

I arrive in Mumbai during a festival, or maybe it's just wedding season. A little ways from the airport strings of lights begin to appear, and as we approach Juhu there are crowds of people dressed in their brightest, gold-decorated clothes. It is nearly midnight. They are on their way home.

Even at the hotel, merrymakers are starting on their way home. I look up from the desk where a clerk is taking as much time as possible to check me in. A group of young women are ambling towards the door, all long hair and bare midriffs. Turquoise and peridot, fuchsia and lime, edged with gold but theirs is a different shade from the tinsel-decorated saris I saw outside. I avert my eyes, a little frightened by their splendor. They reach the doors and exclaim their thanks to the hostess. “Oh, Auntie, what a wonderful party!” and they are gone.

At last the clerk has filled out enough papers. I am sent upstairs with my key, the luggage must follow. Room 214. It is oddly familiar, the way hotel rooms are. Mirror, desk, fridge underneath, two beds. My bags arrive with a bellhop who explains things. I don't know what. I am too exhausted to understand. I nod and nod, wishing him away, finally sending him off with an inadequate tip. Door locked, I bathe and finally sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment